A day at the Zoo

(Disclosure:  I received complimentary tickets in order to facilitate this review.  All opinions shared are my own.)



My kids had a great surprise last Friday.  It was the last day of school and they had a half day so I decided to use my complimentary tickets after picking them up and take them to the zoo.  We arrived there and the parking lot was pretty full.  I guess everyone had the same idea as I did.  But there was still plenty of parking spots left.  I love that the Lowry Park Zoo still has free parking.  The staff at the ticket windows were very courteous.  We were amazed at all the decorations that are up right now for their Zoominations event they have going on.  My boys were so excited about being at the zoo they didn't know which way to go first.


We wondered around enjoying all the exhibits and made our way to the Wallaroo Station.  The area of the zoo is geared specifically for children.  My kids ran towards the Tasmanian Tiger Roller Coaster.  There wasn't many people in this area so my kids got to ride this many times by themselves before I made them move on to the next part.  


After the roller coaster we went into the petting zoo.  My boys loved petting and feeding the goats and getting close to the llamas.  They were given mitts to use as brushes to use on the animals.  


After visiting the petting zoo, we went to go check out the rides but unfortunately mother nature had other plans and it started storming all of a sudden so for safety reasons the rides and water area shut down.  The water play area is much nicer than it used to be.  There are more fun water poles and stuff for the kids to play in.  My kids were really excited to get to play in this area but became quickly bummed.  


While we were waiting for the storm to pass we and about 50 other people huddled in Boomer's Cafe.  I like that it is a self serve type of cafe.  You walk in and there are drinks all along the wall with some yogurts, salads and such.  Then keep walking around and there is the grill area with chicken and food.  You get what you want and go outside to pay.  That took a minute to figure out.  At first I didn't know where to go to pay.  My son figured it out for me.  

Looking at my phone and realizing the storm was going nowhere, we decided to make a break for it and run to the front of the park and go home.  My kids were upset we had to leave early and we didn't get to experience the whole zoo, but we will definitely be getting some passes once we figure out our budget for the summer.  

Check out this post to see how you can get $3 off your admission.