Jump Rope for Heart

How many of you remember doing Jump Rope for Heart as a child.  I remember it being a day full of jump ropes and hula hoops and lots of fun.  Never in my life did I think that it would mean more to me.  As most of you may know, 3 years ago I was diagnosed with Dilated Cardiomyopathy.  In English: I have heart disease.  I was devastated when I got the diagnosis.  I was only 30.  I have 3 young boys who need  healthy mom to chase them around and play with them.  Not a sick mom who has to take a bunch of medicine and can't do anything. About a year later I had an ICD implanted in my chest since I am at greater risk of cardiac arrest.  Now, I am emotionally better with the diagnosis, time to time, I have my pity party and my Why Me days but for the most part I am living life and enjoying every moment I have with my family.  There are days where I can only play ball with my kids for just a few minutes before getting tired and other days I can play all day long.  It's tough to explain to three active boys that "mommy is tired today".   I take nothing for granted!

My children are doing a fundraiser at school.  Now, I know that all school aged kids do multiple fundraisers throughout the year and everyone hits everyone up to help out. You know, the overpriced cookie dough and wrapping paper.   I don't participate in them for that reason.  I have 3 children and fundraisers get expensive.  Since they are doing Jump Rope for Heart though and the money raised goes to the American Heart Association I am asking for sponsors for them.  The money raised helps children who have heart issues.  I know that I am going to have to have my children be tested for this same disease soon and I would be devastated to know that they inherited it (and am praying hard they don't get it)  but knowing that there is support out there and technology and medical advances are getting better and better makes it somewhat okay.

So I am asking my readers if they would be willing to donate a few bucks to a great cause.  I made each of my children a small reachable goal.   If you don't want to, no hurt feelings it's all good.  If anything, research Heart Disease.  It isn't only for the unhealthy or elderly.  Children can get it too!

Here are there donation pages:

John
Evan
Elishah


What is your favorite way to keep your children active and healthy?