Romance of Religion: Fighting for Goodness, Truth, and Beauty

(Disclosure:  I received this book from BookLookBloggers in order to facilitate my review.  All opinions shared are my own.)


C.S. Lewis said that Christianity works on us like every other myth, except it is a myth that really happened.  Dwight Longenecker grabs this idea and funds with it, showing that the Christian story is the greatest story ever told because it gathers up what is true in all the fantasy stories of the world and makes them as solid, true, and real as a tribe of dusty nomads in the desert or the death of a carpenter-king.

In The Romance of Religion Longenecker calls for the return of the romantic hero-the hero who knows his frailty and can fight the good fight with panache, humor, and courage.  Conflict and romance are everywhere in the story of Christ, an dour response is to dust off our armor, don our broad-brimmed hats, pick up our swords, and do battle for Christ with confidence, wonder, and joy.

Is religion no more than a fairy tale?  No, it is more than a fairy tale-much more: it is all the fairy tales and fantastic stories come true here and now.

When I received this book, at first I didn't think I would like it too much.  I am more of a how to guide book person or a biography reader.  After reading a few pages, I found myself trying to find the time to read it more so I can see what else Dwight Longenecker had to say.  I find that this book made me think about my relationship as a relationship with God and not just a religious act.